Frequently Asked Questions on VUL Payments Schedule

Posted by Garry De Castro on January 6, 2014 Blog | Tags: | 253 comments

For more detailed answers regarding Sun Life Payment / Premium Options, please check my other page found in here – http://www.garrydecastro.com/frequently-asked-questions-on-sunlife-payments-vul-plans/

• Mode of payment is quarterly, can I change to Annual? or vise versa?
    Answer – Yes, you may change mode of payment anytime as long as it’s advanced. That way, you won’t be lagging in your payment schedule. However, say your initial mode is quarterly and you paid in Annual, you will still receive the quarterly billing since it’s computer generated. In case you don’t want to receive the quarterly billing, we need to change that in paper, there’s a form we need to submit. Or you may simply ignore the quarterly billing.
  • Can I pay on a Monthly basis? I started annual but I want to change to monthly. What to do?
    Answer – You can pay monthly as long as it is advanced. Ideally, to do monthly payments, initial payment is either quarterly, semi annual or annual. So you pay the first 3 months, then you immediately pay the monthly the next month. That way, when the next billing comes, you already completed the 3 months in advanced. Same goes with Semi Annual and annual. It has to be advanced.
  • Can I pay in Advance? I want my Sun Maxilink Prime policy to be paid in just 5 years.
    Answer – Yes, pwede. For example, your plan is P30k a year for 10 years. Instead of paying 30k a year, you may do P60k a year for 5 years.  As long as you fulfill the total payment of 300k in 10 years or less, that’s ok.
  •  Can I pay a little more than my billing? My quarterly billing is P7,156.75, I always get irritated with the ‘butal’.
    Answer – Yes, you can pay any amount to be exact. In the example, instead of P7,156.75, you can actually pay P7,200 or P7,500. Any excess payments that you make will be added to the fund value, so it will not go to waste.
  • Can I pay my Sun Maxilink Prime using credit card? Sayang kasi ang points.
    Answer – Sad to say, credit card payments are not allowed for VUL type plans. Idea is that, credits should not be used for investments. But for traditional plans like Sun Life Assure / Sun Safer Life / Sun Smarter Life, credit card payments are allowed.
  •  I haven’t paid for like 12months to 1 year. Can I still make deposits to my policy? Can I still make up for skipped payments?
    Answer – The good thing with VUL plans is that, it doesn’t automatically lapse or terminate. If you haven’t received any notification that your policy lapsed, most likely, it is not. If it’s not yet lapsed, yes, you may continue your deposits. You can also make up for skipped payments. If unsure on how much you should pay, let me know so that we can take a look at your policy.
  • How do I pay using online banking?
    Answer -If you’re online banking is BPIexpressonline.com, do the followingEnroll First
    – Login to your bpiexpressonline.com account
    on the Menu, go to Payments and Reloading -> Bills Payment -> Enroll All Other Bills
    – Company Name is Sun Life of Canada (SUNLIF)
    – Reference Number is your Policy Number
    – Click SubmitMake Payments
    – go to Payments and Reloading -> Bills Payment -> Pay Bills Today
    Pay (choose from Drop Down – SLF…)
    Amount
    Then submit
    Check this page for screenshots – How to Pay Sun Life? – click here

253 Comments

• JonasKudo said on Jun 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Hello SIr Garry,

I have a Sunlife flexilink policy and been paying it monthly for 3 years already.. 7 years more to go. I just want to verify coz i think it was unclear to me during discussion with my agent.

I want to ask your thoughts on the matter on premium payment. Since i opted to stop my payment after 10 years (as per indicated in the policy), so after 10years, am i still covered with life insurance just in case something will happen to me, even my monthly payment stops already by that time? Can i still receive the face value of my insurance after 10 years and beyond for emergencies?

Please let me know of your thoughts. Thank!

• Garry De Castro said on Jun 10, 2019 9:05 pm

Hi JonasKudo, the answer to your question is YES. You are still insured even if you stop paying. The fund value of your policy can take care of your future charges, until such time that it is enough.

However, once you get the full fund value of your policy and the fund value becomes ZERO, your policy will automatically lapse.

• April said on May 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi,

I paid recently via Metrobank Mobile, sunlife Peso for my premium policy, it did not reflect on my sunlife account. Is there something wrong that I did? Btw, what is the meaning of Administration charges on the transaction history.

• Garry De Castro said on May 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi April, usually it will reflect in your account after 2-3 business days.

Re: administration charges, included here are the insurance charges and cost in maintaining and administering one’s policy.

• Loveleah said on May 19, 2019 3:04 am

Hello Garry,

I have a concern about the payment in Sunlife. We started the policy March 2019, we paid 9,500. The advisor said that this is for 3 months and that the next payment is in June. I was expecting to see the full 9,500 funds in the account by now, It is May now and the funds in my account did not increase it is still 3,300. Can you please explain what is happening? Why are the funds for April and May did not appear yet?

• Garry De Castro said on May 19, 2019 7:58 am

Hi Loveleah, with your initial payment of 9.500, please expect that you will not see the whole amount in the fund value since Policies are Insurance in nature and not investment. It would help if you can give more details about your specific policies – I presume it’s a VUL product. What’s the specific name? Message me directly if you want specific answer.

• misha said on May 12, 2019 7:05 am

hi sun maxilink prime po ako. and 1year n nkpgdeposit.. anu po ba ung premium charges.. quarterly po ako nghuhulog every quarterly din po ba may premium charges?? kasi halos 75% ng total na nahulog ko is parang napunta sa charges 18,436 na an naihulog ko in one year but becoz of charges 7k nlan po an nklagay na amount sa fund value ko bakit ganun po kalaki un charges? at tuwing mghuhulog po ba ako may charges po n ganyan kalaki hanggang sa 10 yrs kopong pghuhulog? ndi kopo kasi magets na mas mlki po un napupunta sa charges kesa sa fund value na natira

• Jun said on May 12, 2019 4:24 am

Hi Gary,
    In a SunMaxiLink Prime plan, how much of my premium goes to the insurance, how much on the investment and on the savings?
    Thanks!

• Garry De Castro said on May 19, 2019 7:55 am

Hi Jun, it depends on the year. With Maxilink Prime, there’s a schedule of charges. This is written on the page 3 of your policy contract. I’m writing an article for this, watchout on my personal blog http://www.garrydecastro.com

• Cj said on May 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Hello Sir, may i ask what is transfer charges for? Thanks in advance.

• Garry De Castro said on May 11, 2019 2:33 am

Hi CJ. Transfer charge can also mean Premium charge. It is the cost associated with the policy’s sales transaction and other related expenses.

The schedule of Transfer Charges differ depending on the type of VUL product.

• Marvin said on May 7, 2019 10:41 pm

Hello, nakareceive ako ng notification thru text na hindi na connected sa Sunflife yung advisor ko and inaayos na para malipat ako sa ibang advisor. The thing is, wala pang nagrereach out sa akin. November ko pa ako nanotify. Ano po kailangan ko gawin?

• Era said on Apr 11, 2019 1:03 am

Hi good day po, I would just like to ask po 2 questions?

1. Ano po consequence if late magbayad ng SUNLIFE PRIME INSURANCE? last March 3 2019 po dapat sched ng payment ko and lampas Grace period na din ako.

2. Can I still pay it within this month of April 2019?

• Garry De Castro said on May 8, 2019 2:53 am

Hi Era, as long as your policy has fund value enough to cover for your monthly charges, your policy will remain in-forced. It will greatly matter if suddenly the fund value becomes insufficient, then paying late and beyond the grace period will automatically lapse your policy.

• Christina Bernadette Trogo said on Mar 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Hello sir! I just want to ask regarding the administration charge. I am paying 30k quarterly, for the first year my admin charge is only 1k plus/month but starting the second year it went up to 5kplus/month. So 50%of my payment goes to administration charge. Just want to know of this is the way it works,coz my ageny doesnt know about it. Can you please enlighten me.. Thank you very much

• Garry De Castro said on May 8, 2019 2:51 am

Hi Christina. This is actually expected since on the 2nd year, your premium charge is only 5% but the monthly periodic charge is 40%. Simply put, instead of charging you upfront for the 40% every time you make your payments on the 2nd year, it is not scheduled on a monthly basis. This is included in the proposal and in the policy contract page 3.

• John said on Mar 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi Sir! I have maxilink prime and im on my 2nd year. I paid my annual premium 20 days late from due date but before i made my payment, I noticed that my current fund value is less than the original fund value listed in my document after my 1st payment. Is the reduction of my fund value from the monthly periodic charges? If yes, is the reduction more since I paid late or it will just be the same even if I paid on time? Thanks!

• Garry De Castro said on May 8, 2019 2:48 am

Hi John, this has nothing to do because of your late payments. This can be attributed more likely on the idea vs the projected performance on the fund allocation you’re in. What’s the fund allocation of your plan?

• Bea said on Mar 4, 2019 8:20 am

Hi Sir. I just want to ask if I can lower my quarterly payments due to unplanned expenses. I think it’s better to lower nalang kesa missed payments but I don’t know how. Thank you!

• Garry De Castro said on Mar 6, 2019 8:14 am

Hi Bea, is this temporary or permanent? Coz if it’s just a temporary thing, you can simply deposit what you can for the meantime then make up in the future. But if you mean permanently, you need a coverage downgrade. What’s your specific plan? Your Sun Life Advisor should be able to help you with the required documents.

• Michael said on Mar 1, 2019 5:57 pm

Yearly po yung mode of payment ko. Para po sana di isang bagsakan sa due date, nagbabayad pa rin po ako in advance monthly. So napupunta po sa fund value yung binabayad ko monthly. Ngayong payment due ko na this month, lumabas yung amount due ko as yung total amount pa rin yearly. Automatically po ba mababawas na sa amount due yung mga binayaran ko in advance monthly pagkalagpas ng due date? Sa fund value ko rin po ibabawas yung payment? Kung doon po, pano po yung pagbawas ng unit, based po ba sa current unit price or nung time na nagadvance payment ako?

• Garry De Castro said on Mar 1, 2019 11:59 pm

Hi Michael, the billing statement is an auto generated thing so no need to worry. They simply serve as reminder and does nothing directly to charges etc.

So if you’ve been doing monthly, quarterly or annual, charges are still on monthly basis.

• april said on Feb 27, 2019 7:56 am

Hi sir Garry ask ko lng regarding sa cash surrender value sabi na yun lng ang mkukuha if magteterminate ng insurance, 7500/quarter almost 1 yr ng nagbabayad then surrender value 7037.71 yan lng po ba maclaclaim ko??

• Garry De Castro said on Mar 1, 2019 1:54 am

Hi April, if you’re just on your 1st year and you plan to surrender, I’m afraid yes, that’s the only possible amount that you can get. Why would you want to terminate your insurance, sayang naman.

• crew said on Feb 14, 2019 7:21 am

Why is the “face value” and “death benefit” in a Sunlife policy different? The “death value” in brochures claim to be double the “face value” but I don’t see any documentation for this.

• Garry De Castro said on Feb 15, 2019 12:53 am

Hi Crew, which particular Sun Life policy are you referring to?

• Jed said on Feb 14, 2019 7:15 am

Hi, this is very informative. Can a non-resident Phil citizen avail of life insurance?

• Garry De Castro said on Feb 15, 2019 1:23 am

Hi Jed, there are some conditions for non-residents. Factors like if one is married to a Filipina, stayed in the Philippines for certain years..

• Rommel said on Feb 13, 2019 7:22 am

Hi good day.
    I’m a member since February 2018.
    I would like to ask below questions.
    1. I would like to ask what’s the administration charge for? I have a monthly charge of Php 902.
    2. Whats the transfer charge for?

Thanks in advance

• Enzo San Miguel said on Jan 28, 2019 7:29 am

Hi Garry, very helpful ung post mo. Just two questions: 1) for example, nagkaroon ako ng emergency in my 3rd year and I want to withdraw my investments, ano ano ung mga Fees na dapat maging aware ako at sa anong percentages sila?
    2) How much is the admin charge and does it vary yearly? Thank you so much and hoping to hear for your feedback.

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 28, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi Enzo, thank you for dropping by.

Re: in case of withdrawal, if this is a limited pay vul (Maxilink Prime or Bright) or regular pay vul (Sun Flexilink), no other charges. But if it’s a Single Pay VUL (Sun Maxilink One), then you’ll have charges.

Re: How much is the admin charge and does it vary yearly? Admin charge is dependent on a lot of factors pertaining to your policy – age, smoking habits, gender, coverage. Does it vary yearly, yes it does. If you check your policy contract, these charges are summarized in the illustration of benefits, you will see there a column that say Charges**.

In case you’d like to get more details, I suggest you sit down with your Sun Life Advisor for a possible Policy Review.

• Abel said on Jan 21, 2019 1:38 am

Hi Sir Garry. Magkano po ba ang minimum top-up at ano pong process? May form pa po ba? Thanks po.

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 21, 2019 1:41 am

Top ups, if Im not mistaken doesn’t have any minimum amount.
      No need for additional forms, you just pay or deposit to your account and that’s it.

• AnDi said on Jan 13, 2019 10:33 am

Hi Sir Garry, I find your inputs really helpful. I already have flexilink and I want to know if sunlife charge for fees if we partially withdraw money from our funds? Can I also remove/change my irrevocable beneficiaries? My worries is that what if my beneficiaries goes abroad, how will I be able to withdraw my funds if they’re not around? Found out of their addtl role too late.Haha.
    I also want to know If I can include another investment in my account. My vul presently have funds for peso equity and I want to buy shares or allocate some of my investment on index fund for example. Is that possible or do I have to buy another vul for that? Thank you so much in advance sir and more powers.

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 16, 2019 2:11 am

Hi AnDi, u got a handful of questions. Let’s try to answer one by one.

1. Is there any charge upon withdrawal on Sun Flexilink? Answer is none.
      2. Can you change Irrevocable beneficiaries to revocable? Answer is yes, but you need them to sign a Non Financial Amendment Form and submit govt issued IDs along with yours.
      3. Can you include additional funds? If you mean change fund allocation, answer is Yes, you just need to submit a VUL Fund Switch Form.

Or if your objective is to have a separate fund for fund growth, why dont you try getting a Mutual Fund account, only 1k to open.

• Jhey said on Jan 6, 2019 5:57 am

Hi sir garry! Just wanna ask, my payment due date is evey 30th of january. but my payment amount due is zero. When will it show my payment amount? So that i can allocate my money. Yrly basis po ako. thanks!

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 7, 2019 3:41 am

Hi Jhey, usually if your due date is less than 25 days, it will next show the next due date. In your case, I suggest you simply pay what you paid last year or if you forgot, ask your Sun Life advisor or you may call our hotline 849 9888.

• Josh said on Dec 28, 2018 2:55 am

Hi sir Garry. I just want to ask if you have a Hospital income benefit rider, would it cover you if you are admitted due to child birth?

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 7, 2019 3:39 am

Hi Josh, childbirth is not covered, it is included in the exclusions letter F.

Bakit hindi covered ang Childbirth? Basic reason is that, hindi naman sickness ang pagbubuntis. 😀

We will not pay any benefit for Hospital Confinement of the life insured caused by or resulting from any of the following:
      (a) attempted suicide or self-inflicted injury while sane or insane;
      (b) war declared or undeclared, insurrection, riots, civil commotion or any hostile action of armed forces;
      (c) abuse of drug or alcohol;
      (d) committing or attempting to commit a criminal offense;
      (e) nervous or mental disorder;
      (f) pregnancy, childbirth, miscarriage or abortion or complication of any of these;
      (g) congenital deformities and defects; (h) routine physical check-up and rest cures;
      (i) cosmetic or plastic surgery, except as a result of Injury and recommended by a Physician; and
      (j) any Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and/or any HIV-related illness including Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and/or mutations, derivation or variations
      thereof.

• Intira said on Dec 12, 2018 11:01 am

Hi can i lower my monthly payment? I have unplanned expenses next year and now i want to lower what i usually pay monthly. Is this possible? Thanks!

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 7, 2019 3:36 am

Hi Intira, on normal cases, yes possible. But it will depend on several factors like current fund value, how long have you been paying, market condition. For sure results, you may call our hotline 8499888 to know the specific answer or best if you contact your Sun Life Advisor.

• Apple said on Dec 7, 2018 5:46 am

For Maxilink Prime, I’m one quarter delayed in my premium payment. Is my policy still inforce?

• Garry De Castro said on Dec 7, 2018 6:03 am

Hi Apple, how long have you paid so far? If it’s just a quarter delay, most likely your policy is still inforced. However, to be sure, best to check your online account to see how much fund value is left.
      You can easily register your policy thru http://www.sunlife.com.ph and once registered, download the mobile app Sun Life PH so you can easily monitor thru your smartphone.

• Arjay said on Dec 3, 2018 5:11 am

Hi. Just want to ask. What is the difference between maxilink prime and flexilink? Sabi kasi sa proposal up to age 88 bbyran ung flexilink pero sabi nmn ng advisor ko. pwede daw na hanggng 10 years lng kasi ung fund value ung magssustain ng premium charges. sa maxilink sabi nmn is up to 10 years lng pero not guaranteed depende sa performance ng fund. Just confused kasi halos parehas lang sila ng thought. you will still pay after 10 years if market condition is not good.

• Garry De Castro said on Dec 7, 2018 6:01 am

Hi Arjay, thanks for asking. Basic difference ng Flexilink and Maxilink prime is on their design. Flexilink was originally designed and is a regular pay VUL – meaning to say, you got to pay up to age 88. Altho one feature of it is that you can do Premium Holiday, meaning, you can stop paying and future charges will be deducted on the fund value until such time that it can support the charges.

On the other hand, Sun Maxilink Prime was designed as a limited pay VUL – 10 year. Based on the design, one only needs to pay 10 years and using normal market conditions, with charges taken into consideration, it will be able to withstand future charges up to age 88. But then again, that is not a guarantee.

• Jovelle said on Nov 30, 2018 12:56 am

Hi,

I have missed one quarter payment last September and would like to make up for it this December. Will I inquire any interest or penalty?

• AdC said on Nov 24, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi, Gary!

If I skipped a payment for my Sun Maxilink Prime, which I should have paid on an annual basis, should I pay the annual amount? Or can I pay for it in installments? Thank you in advance.

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 30, 2018 1:27 am

Sun Maxilink Prime’s payment as well as other VUL have a flexible payment scheme. You can do installments after paying annual or vice versa. As long as your fund value is not zero which will automatically terminate your policy. So yes, you can do installments or annual.

• Teru Perlas said on Nov 19, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Sir Gary, I have Sun Maxilink Bright – 0817737022 , started last Mar 08, 2018. I need to pay the premium (PHP 159,595.00) again by March 8, 2019.

However, I am an OFW and will be only available in the country by May 2019. Due to this, my payment will be delayed by 2 months. What will be the consequence, is there any penalty for delayed payment?

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 30, 2018 1:29 am

Hi Teru, I suggest you double check the fund value. Altho Maxilink Bright’s product design is more on investment, your policy should do ok if it’s only delayed by 2 months. But, best to check your account by registering on Sunlife.com.ph or check with your Sun Life advisor just to be sure.

• Jay said on Nov 17, 2018 10:56 am

Will I be charged with additional administration charges every time I do top-ups monthly?

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 30, 2018 1:34 am

There are no additional admin charges but for top ups, there’s a 5% premium charge that will be deducted.

• anet said on Nov 9, 2018 7:43 am

Hi. Ask lang regarding administration charge. nag iiba po ba amount ng charges? I am Flexilink nung una nasa 200+ lang pero after 1yr tumaas ng 900+ then nitong 2nd yr bumaba ulit ng 600+ . please inlighten me. thanks

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 30, 2018 1:33 am

Hi Anet, yes nag iiba iba ang amount ng monthly charge based on your years of payment. Usually highest monthly is on the 2nd year since Monthly Period Charge is at 40%. This is in your policy contract and proposal.

As long as you’re up to date with your payment, nothing to worry about these charges since on the proposal – Illustration of Benefits, the figures are net of charges.

• aaron said on Nov 3, 2018 2:02 am

hello ask ko lang due date ko kasi this coming november 16 2018.. and planning to pay this coming november 30 since its pay day.. mag kakaroon po ba ng extra charges since delayed payment ako? and if meron how much? thanks sa raply

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 30, 2018 1:29 am

If it’s a VUL plan, no extra charges for delayed payments as long as your policy is in-forced at the time of payment.

• Billy Pineda said on Nov 2, 2018 7:52 am

Hi Gary,

In a Flexilink plan, how much of my premium goes to the insurance, how much on the investment and on the savings?

Thanks!

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 2, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi Billy, in Flexilink as well as other VUL plans of Sun Life, the charges and investment component have a schedule. For Flexilink, here’s the schedule

1st year – 85% goes to premium charge + monthly insurance charge, 15% goes to savings/investment
      2nd year – 5% premium charge / 50% monthly periodic charge + monthly insurance charge, 45% goes to savings/investment
      3rd year – 5% premium charge / 25% monthly periodic charge + monthly insurance charge, 70% goes to savings/investment
      4th-5th year – 5% premium charge / 5% monthly periodic charge + monthly insurance charge, 90% goes to savings/investment
      6th -10th year – 5% premium charge + monthly insurance charge, 95% goes to savings/investment

+ Fund management charge of 2% (plus VAT) on the fund value

• Faye said on Oct 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi, tanong ko lang kung, paano po ba ung excess premium.? Connected po ba ito sa question na “Can I pay in Advance? I want my Sun Maxilink Prime policy to be paid in just 5 years.” Thank you.

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 2, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi Faye, excess premium are usually the same as top up. In some cases, these can also be considered as advanced payment. As I always tell my clients, if you want to pay your Maxilink Prime in just 5 years, try to advance the corresponding amount equivalent to your required payment. For example, your annual premium is 60k and you’re required to pay in 10 years, that would be 600k in total.

If say you pay 120k per year instead of just 60k, you are advancing in a way your payment. But expect that you will still receive annual billing as they are first considered as Top Up or excess premium. Just disregard them instead.

• Cali said on Oct 20, 2018 6:19 am

Hi Sir,

My policy is in its 6th year. I had paid my premiums in advance but it seemed that my fund value is losing instead of gaining money. Does deducting charges from the fund value means deduction of units as well?

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 2, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi Cali. Paano mo nasabi na it’s losing value instead of gaining money?

On the idea of deducting charges, deduction of units you’re correct. Investment components are converted into units. And when charges are deducted, units are converted back peso value that’s why you will notice that the units can decrease from time to time.

• Joan said on Oct 15, 2018 1:40 am

thank you so much!

• Joan said on Oct 15, 2018 1:15 am

hi sir garry!
    yes sir its a vul plan, flexilink po. i started october 2016 po.

additional question po. as long as my current fund value can cover for missed months payments, my policy wont lapse/end po diba? i pay for house expenses po kasi, and my mom has been in and out of the heart center, although sunlife is impt, its the least of my worries right now. in fact, just this weekend going over it, i think i cant pay for august, sept, and oct bills this month. maybe i should just let my policy expire? i mean 1000/month is still 1000 and that will help a lot in our family’s situation.

but if my current fund value can still cover for missed months, then ill just use that option. if and when i am finally able to pay, do i have to pay those missed months if they are already covered by current fund value from before?

i cant contact my advisor, sorry for going to you for advise. thank you so much!

• Garry De Castro said on Oct 15, 2018 1:32 am

Yes, that’s correct. As long as may fund value enough to cover for the charges, it will still be in-forced.
      But since it will be your 2nd year, please expect that your monthly charges will increase due to monthly periodic charge.
      Do you need to pay for skipped payments, best if you do so that the fund value can increase overtime and sustain the life of your policy.

• Vince said on Oct 12, 2018 6:06 am

Hi Garry. I’d like to ask a few questions with regards to my Sun Maxilink Prime.

I missed a quarter of contribution (August 30) due to unexpected company bankruptcy. I understand, from the comments above, that the missed contribution has been deducted from the total fund value of my VUL.
    But since I’m going to start again making contributions this November 30, will it continue to deduct from the total fund value, unless I double my contributions before the due date? Or is it okay to at least make 1 contribution to my plan first? I’m leaning to continue on with my plan with the latter option since I’ve yet to recover from my financial constraints.

Thank you in advance!

• Garry De Castro said on Oct 13, 2018 9:02 am

Hi Vince, for one, your total quarterly contribution was not necessarily deducted as a whole in your fund value. It simply deducted the monthly insurance charges as scheduled and will continue to do so over time.

What you actually missed in your skipped payment is the opportunity to add new units to your policy. By any chance, your policy will continue to be in-forced as long as there’s enough fund value to cover for the monthly charges. So in case you missed a quarter, just make sure you complete the required payments on time so as to keep it on scheduled as projected.

• Joan said on Oct 10, 2018 2:55 am

hi sir garry!

i wasn’t able to pay my august and september bills. im planning to pay them po this october 15 (salary).. i usually pay thru meralco bayad center po. do i just indicate there that my payment is for the month of “august to september” (there’s a section in the bayad form : applicable months) would that be remitted to my sunlife policy accordingly po. and as for my october bill, will pay that on oct 30 naman po (salary).. bale i will pay for 3 months this october. is that allowed po?

• Garry De Castro said on Oct 10, 2018 10:07 am

Hi Joan, is this a vul plan? When did you start?

• Blair said on Oct 1, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi Garry,

I have a question about our Policies. My son was 6 years old when he got the his VUL insurance (MaxiLink). Okay lang ba na magwithdraw kami dun by the time na magcollege na siya? Enforced pa din ba insurance kung sakali? Sa tingin niyo po mas okay na magwitdraw sa policy namen ng asawa ko or mismong sa policy po ng anak namen?

Thank you so much in advance!

• Garry De Castro said on Oct 1, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi Blair. Wala naman problema if you partially withdraw sa policy ng anak mo or ng asawa mo. Most especially if that policy was created for the purpose of education talaga for your kid. Will it still be in-forced? As long as may fund value that will cover the charges and future charges, it will stay in-forced. It will, however, automatically lapse once the fund value is depleted.

Probably as early as now, try to label which is which. Meaning, ano ba ang exact purpose for each plan. For example, if the plan of your husband is for Income Protection / Retirement, withdrawing it for education may not be a good idea. Or if the policy of your son was taken for his education talaga, then even if you withdraw the full amount, walang problema as it will achieve the designed purpose.

Try to compute lang din if the fund value at the time of college will suffice. Otherwise, you can supplement by investing also in mutual funds, uitf, stocks or any possible investment vehicles. We have a tool to compute for that. Ask your Sun Life Advisor to make you a sample projection. 😀

• Mic said on Sep 27, 2018 11:22 am

Hi Sir, nag-automatic deduct po ba ung premium sa fund value if you missed a payment? I have maxilink prime po kasi and for this quarter ang due ko po dapat ay Sept 13 pero magbabayad pa lng po ako this Sept 30. when i check my sunlife accnt online ganto na po ung nakalagay. Total amount due PHP 0.00 Pay by Dec 13, 2018. Naautomatic deduct na po ba yun? If so, bakit walang notification or email?

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi Mic, thanks for asking. The premium wasn’t automatically deducted from your fund value. What you’re seeing is just a change of Due Date which automatically change since this is computer generated.

What your policy will do is it will simply deduct the required monthly charges from your existing fund value, which is in a way almost the same concept from what you stated above. But it doesn’t mean that it automatically deducts the full amount of what you’re suppose to pay.

Let me know if this answers your question. 😀

• maria cristina said on Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm

hi i just registered my account online and i noticed an error in my name. my maiden name’s middle name was used instead of my correct middle name. how should i fix this? by the way I don’t think i have an advisor right now cause my previous advisor has left sunlife.

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi Maria Cristina. You can easily call our hotline at (02) 849 9888. If you don’t have an existing advisor I might be able to help you. May I know which area are you?

• Mimi said on Sep 26, 2018 5:47 am

Hi po. Ask lang po. I paid the required amount yesterday since today mag end yung grace period. Unfortunately, when i check the app, lapsed na status ko. Hindi pa po nagreflect yung payment ko thru bayaf center. 🙁 whats the best thing to do po kaya? Thanks and God bless po.

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi Mimi, if you’ve paid thru bayad center, usually it will take 2-3 business days before magreflect ang payment mo sa account mo. If it says lapsed already, you need help from your Sun Life Advisor submitting a Simplified Reinstatement Offer. It will require you to answer some questions and your signature.

If your Sun Life Advisor is no longer active, feel free to message me on FB messenger, I might be able to help you!

• Riza said on Sep 25, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks for this very informative po. Ask ko nalang din po if the charges deducted would always be the same. I have my first due date on 24 and gusto po sana na tuwing end of month nalang magbayad para sakto sa payday and since within grace period pa sya. May additional charges po ba na madededuct sa fund value ko? (7500-quarterly-flexilink). Thanks in advance!

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi Riza, charges are not always the same. Usually nagbabago xa every 12 months depending on the type of plan and schedule of charges. If you’re plan is Flexilink, sa 2nd year mapapansin mo na malaki ang monthly charges due to monthly periodic charge.

Just make sure that you monitor the fund value not going negative or zero to keep your policy in-forced.

• Patricia said on Sep 19, 2018 6:00 am

Hi, just wanna ask if it’s okay to pay in advance for my Sun maxilink prime? Due nya is on Oct 6,2018 but I want to pay early na para diko magastos yung pera.. I’m worried na mag reflect sya as top-up?

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi Patricia. Don’t worry, it will not reflect as top-up since the rule is 25 days before and after. Any payments made 25days before or after the due date will not reflect as top up. 😀

• Mervic said on Sep 14, 2018 3:39 am

Hi SunLife. What happens to my VUL policy if my account’s handler is no longer part of SunLife? I believe I got an email about a year ago from SunLife but I wasn’t able to reply back with regard to the change in handler I prefer (which I remember was like, SunLife would be the one who decides as to whom agent my account would be transferred to, if I wasn’t able to reply back, and I can’t even find that email anymore). My payment still remains the same – but I just want to know if there’s anything I should be concerned about. Thank you.

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 14, 2018 4:32 am

Hi Mervic, you can actually Change Advisor anytime you want. You just need to find a new Sun Life Advisor that you trust.
      As per your Sun Life policy, no effect whatsoever. Just pay as scheduled.

• Jovel sanglay said on Sep 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Good evening sir pwedi ko bang mkuha ung fund q after 1 year magkano po ang mkkuha q 6 247 po ung quarterly q and pwedi kuba ipa cancel ung policy q.hindi q NBA makukuha ung mga binayad q. Tnx

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 14, 2018 4:35 am

Hi Jovel, if nakaka 1year ka palang, sobrang liit lang ng makukuha mo for sure.
      Best to talk to your advisor para mas maipaliwanag nya sayo. You will only breakeven after you finish the required number of payments in your contract.

• Dave said on Sep 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Hello. I would like to have maxilink prime po with a face amount of 500k. How much should I pay first?

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi Dave, your initial payment can either be Annual, semi annual or 1st quarter. Do you have a proposal or advisor already? If none, I might be able to personally help you. I will be your Financial Advisor in return and you will be my client for Life 😀

• durs said on Sep 8, 2018 4:13 pm

I have 27k as of now po sa Fund Value, I am planning to withdraw due to financial problem po about 20k and ititira ko po ang 7k para sa charges just in case. okay lang po ba iyon

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 9, 2018 4:26 am

Hi Durs, yes pwede nman. Just monitor your fund value so that it won’t lapse.

• Lennie Militante said on Sep 5, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi sir.

I currently have a sunlife maxi prime and have been paying for 5 years, so 5 years to go. My question is: after i finish payment for 10 years , do i need to pay premium yearly to keep policy in force ? Or is the premium to be deducted from the investment fund value ? My understanding is after 10 year payment ,the insurance part is in tact until the policy matures but no more payment. But i read some info that premiums should continue to be paid for the policy to be active. Pls. Enlighten. Thanks

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 6, 2018 4:40 am

Hi Ms. Lennie. Sun Maxilink Prime was designed to be a limited pay VUL, meaning just pay 10years without much riders, the policy can be self sustaining til age 88 based on normal market conditions. You will see the projection at 4%,8%,10% in one of the pages of the proposal.

Re: do you need to pay premium after 10 years to keep it in-forced? No need, as long as there’s fund value, you are insured. Technically, there are still charges after paying 10years. These are insurance charges and admin charges etc. Once you’ve paid the required 10 years, the plan can become self sustaining. Meaning, even if there are charges, the plan can easily absorb and at the same time still earn.

On the fine print of the proposal itself (Maxilink Prime), it says this. “*Premium payment period of 10 years is not guaranteed. You may still be required to pay additional premium after 10 years if the fund value is insufficient to pay the charges.”

There really is no guarantee since it’s VUL – that’s the very nature of the product – Variable. But based on actuary, this product using normal market condition can self sustain up to age 88. Not unless you have a lot of added riders and no excess premiums.

• Mica said on Sep 4, 2018 9:28 pm

Sir,
    Question po.
    Maxilink prime po ung account ko. since 4th quarter ng 2016 nagstart.
    Then since 2018 1st quarter hindi ako nakapagbayad.
    Ano po bang mangyayari? ok lng bang bayaran ko okay lang po ba na bayaran ko ng buo ung missed payments ko? May nabago po ba sa policy ko? As I remember 1.5 ung value ko pero nakkta ko online 750K nlng.. can u please explain po.. d kasi ngrereply advisor ko thankyou

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 6, 2018 4:24 am

Hi Mica, have you checked if may fund value pa ung policy mo? If there is, your policy is still in-forced, meaning you can still continue paying and settling the balance you weren’t able to pay.
      May nabago ba sa policy mo? Wala naman as long as it is still in-forced.
      What you’re seeing in your online account is 750k Face Amount, right? Don’t worry, if you’ll check in your Policy Contract, it says there that the Insurance coverage is 200% of the face amount, so it’s actually 2x the face amount.
      Please LIKE my facebook page http://fb.com/FinancialAdvisorPH

• Andrei said on Aug 23, 2018 7:59 am

Hi again. Thanks for your answer but I have another question. What is the difference bet LAPSED and TERMINATED policy? Thanks!

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 6, 2018 4:44 am

In general concept, they could mean the same thing. But in actual context, Lapsed policy is something that was terminated due to non payment of premium amount on the due date or even after the grace period.

Terminated policies are those policies that run its course and not renewed or continued.

• Andrei said on Aug 22, 2018 11:32 am

Hello. I would like to ask something. If I was not able to pay my VUL policy on the due date and the current fund value is not enough to cover the amount, will my policy lapse? My policy is Sun Flexilink. Thanks in advance!

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi Andrei. In your given scenario, the answer is YES, it will lapse. You will be given 31 days to deposit so that it will not be terminated.

• Mary said on Aug 18, 2018 5:54 am

Hi Sir,

I cannot pay my VUL payment for this quarter. It was due on July 21, and have plans to pay on August 30. Will my policy be terminated because of this?

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi Mary, if you have enough fund value to cover for the charges, it doesn’t matter. However, if the fund value is not enough to cover for the charges, your policy will lapse.

• rytz nunes said on Aug 2, 2018 12:01 pm

Just want to ask about about the sundry amount? Dapat ko bang bayaran to on top of my yearly? Thanks!!!

Total amount due
    PHP 100,255.00
    Pay by Aug 09, 2018
    YearlyPayment mode
    PHP 31,990.00Premium amount
    PHP 68,265.00Sundry amount

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 5, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi Rytz, thanks for dropping by. Sundry amount is what we call top up. There are different reasons why this was added in your proposals, I’m guessing you have a lot of riders or additional benefits.

I’d say best to ask your Sun Life advisor so that you can review again your policy.

• Sophia Bolipata said on Jul 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Garry De Castro said on Jan 5, 2018 6:17 am
    I’m not sure what kind of policy you have. But if it’s a Maxilink Prime and it’s more than the minimum face amount, yes pwede ka magpa reduce ng face amount or downgrade. Ano kailangan mo gawin? Mejo madami dami and you’ll need the help of your Sun Life Advisor. You’ll need to submit Financial amendment form, generate new proposal, submit valid ID of you and irrevocable beneficiaries if any.

Hello, what exactly happens to the policy po after a downgrade? Are there charges for downgrading? I am downgrading 3 years after paying po. Please enlighten me… what happens to the past payments and past premiums that ive paid? For example, the face amount is for 2m. Ive paid 180 per year for the last 3 years. Im downgrading to face amount 500,000.

• Garry De Castro said on Jul 26, 2018 11:48 pm

Whatever fund value you have will not be affected and get carried over. Only the face amount and riders if any (coverage) will have the changes.

Best to consult your Sun Life Advisor if you still have one. Of if none and you’re within reach, we might be able to help you.

Happy investing!

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 22, 2018 12:32 pm

After downgrading, your coverage will decrease as well as your next payments. There are no charges for downgrading, just ask help from your Sun Life Advisor.

• _sunlifeflexilink said on Jul 19, 2018 4:29 am

Hi Sir

Question po I have a flexilink.I was not able to pay it and I found out after a week ng lapse na cya.Pwede pa po ba cya ma reinstate?

• Garry De Castro said on Jul 19, 2018 4:53 am

Yes pwede. Ask help from your Sun Life advisor. May need kc isubmit na document.

If wala ka na advisor, I can help u.

• onie.abiva@gmail.com said on May 8, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi sir, regarding sa mailing address. Pwede ko ba change ang mailing address to email address nalang when it comes to receiving quarterly payment receipt since I am based now abroad. thanks

• Mond said on May 3, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi, sir. I have a Flexilink account. I’ve had it for at least a year now. My payment was due 04/22/2018 but I was unable to pay because I lost my job. My question it, what will happen to my policy? Will it be closed? Will I syill be able to pay once I found a new job in about a momth? How long will it remain active while unpaid until it gets closed?

• Garry De Castro said on May 4, 2018 12:21 am

Hi Mond, thank you for reaching out. What will happen to your policy if you’re not able to pay your succeeding dues? It will lapse eventually. How soon? It will depend on the fund value. If you can check your account online or using the app, you will see the monthly charges and the current fund value. As long as there’s enough fund value to pay for the charges, it will remain inforced. Given that, you can actually just deposit/pay whatever monthly charges to keep your policy inforced until such time you find a new job.
      Best to seek the help of your advisor also to help you monitor your status.

• carlo_legaspi2003@yahoo.com said on Mar 22, 2018 5:51 am

Hi Garry. I used my BPI online account to pay for my Sunlife account. Will there be any charges charged by BPI for the service?

Thanks.

• Garry De Castro said on Mar 22, 2018 6:26 am

Hi Carlos, no bank charges whatsoever. 😀

• Oliver said on Jan 31, 2018 11:57 am

Hi,

It says that there is an option to pay online via your SunLink account and I wanted to pay my premiums online since I am out of the country. However, I was unable to find an option to pay online everytime I logged in to my SunLink account. Can you please assist me with this?

Thank you.

• AJ said on Jan 31, 2018 3:18 am

Hi Sir,

I assumed you’re a financial advisor and my question is, is it normal that a deduction might occur on your current fund units ( peso equity fund ) even it was already credited without prior notice?

Thanks!

• Garry De Castro said on Feb 1, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi AJ, what do you exactly mean by “deduction might occur on current funds even it was already credited without prior notice?” It might help if you can give a little background – what type of policy you got, how long have you paid so far?

• Lj said on Jan 27, 2018 9:58 am

Hello. Sorry, not related with VUL, but more on the traditional plan and this is with regards to the schedule of payment. If I chose to pay quarterly in the proposal can I advance my payment to say semi-annual or maybe annual? Will my premium still be the same because if I understand correctly, there is a slight difference in the premium depending on the schedule of payment. Thank you.

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 28, 2018 12:13 am

Hi Lj, if at the onset you opted for Quarterly mode and you wish to pay in advance, you won’t benefit from the savings that you will get if it’s Semi Annual or Annual mode. Pag nag advance ka kasi sa Traditional plans, it will float for the moment until such time that your bill is due. So your premium is still the same.

If you wish to make some sort of savings, you need to change your mode of payment via Financial Amendment form – you need to submit this to Sun Life office or thru your Sun Life Advisor.

• cholo said on Jan 23, 2018 1:36 pm

hello po ask q lng po kung mag totop ups po aq lalaki rin ba ung administration charge q depends sa top ups q?

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 28, 2018 12:11 am

Hi Cholo. Administration charges are not in any way related to top ups, so the answer is No.

• LA said on Jan 17, 2018 6:30 am

Hello po.. Thank you for the info. I registered my account online and have already asked my advisor and googled it but he’s not sure. Just want to ask more info if you’re familiar with sundry amount.

In the total amount due section, it shows my premium amount and sundry amount after that.

-Payment mode
    -Premium amount PHP 7,131.25
    -Sundry amount PHP 368.75

Thank you so soo much and God bless you po!

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 17, 2018 9:39 am

Hi LA, Sundry means miscellaneous. In Sun Life, Sundry amount means Excess premium on top of your basic premium. These are added on top of your investment component, para mas lumaki. In most cases, we do this para walang butal. Besides, benefit din ng client to in a way.

• Maria said on Jan 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi. How do I pay online thru the BDO app? Is it the same biller/ company name? Sun Life of Canada? Thanks

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 14, 2018 2:39 am

Yes, Sun Life of Canada (Phils) Inc. Then use your policy number as the reference number. Reference name is your name.

• Rea Bautista said on Jan 5, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi. I recently paid my sunlife bill thru bdo otc. The thing is i used the deposit slip instead of bills payment slip. Is there going to be a problem with that? Because my account number was not reflected in the reciept after machine validation as the teller told me that the system did not asked for any reference number. Please help. Thank you.

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 14, 2018 2:41 am

Keep your deposit slip then call your Sun Life Advisor or Customer Service. You might need to undergo manual crediting.

• Marou Louis Cruz said on Jan 3, 2018 10:25 pm

I have a friend po who availed a 30k a year VUL payable for 5 years. Now, babalik siya ng school and is bothered if maglalapse yung account niya u=if unpaid for about 6 months. Pano gagawin niya?

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 5, 2018 6:13 am

How long na xa nakabayad? I suggest he monitors the monthly fees deducted from the policy via Sun Link account or thru his advisor. Usually pag 5 years to pay, di xa kadagli dagling maglapse if paid for at least 1 year na.

• Rhein said on Jan 3, 2018 4:25 pm

Hello po.
    I started my Maxilink last August 2017, excited kasi ako to start my insurance so I got one the moment I had my first job. At that time I thought kaya pero lately kasi nagiging burden yung pag babayad ko ng insurance lalo na 3k ako per month.
    Ask ko Lang po if possible pababaan ang monthly payment ko? Kung possible baguhin yung premium ko like from 700k to 300k insurance, yung pang 1.5k per month po sana.
    I don’t want to stop kasi nasasayangan ako pero Baka doon po mauwi Kung magiging burden ang pagbabayad ko.
    Possible po ba?
    If yes,ano po kailangan ko Gawain?

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 5, 2018 6:17 am

• mark said on Dec 31, 2017 12:13 pm

hi, I just want to know, I’m paying 15k for 1 year now, thats 180k, so what will happen to the money I paid for the whole year?will it just cover for all fees and insurance or some money will be added in my investment?thank you

• dennis dave e surposa said on Dec 29, 2017 9:10 am

sir, i have a maxilink prime. can i avail a loan and use my policy as collateral? how much would be the interest and would it affect the growth of my fund value? thanks a lot!

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 5, 2018 6:23 am

Hi Dennis. When you say avail a loan, do you mean to say get from the fund value of your Maxilink Prime? If that’s what you mean, you can’t get a loan but you can withdraw from the fund value, no interest.

How will it affect the fund value? It will affect a lot. And once the fund value becomes 0, your policy will automatically lapse.

• Inah said on Dec 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi ask ko sana if i can pay in checque?

• Garry De Castro said on Dec 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi Inah, yes you may pay in cheque. Payee should be Sun Life of Canada (Phils) Inc.

• Joyce said on Dec 21, 2017 12:40 am

Good day. I have missed two premium payments last 2016 but have been paying on time this year. Can I make up for my missed payments anytime? Also, in case the payment period for my policy ends and I failed to pay x months, what are the implications to my policy? Thank you.

• Garry De Castro said on Dec 27, 2017 2:30 am

Hi Joyce, yes, you can make up for your skipped payments.

In case you’re not able to pay for a long time and fund value gets depleted, your policy will automatically lapse so I suggest you keep an eye on your fund value to keep it lapsing.

• Carol Daguplo said on Dec 18, 2017 7:52 am

hi sir! nakaka two years na akong maghulog sa sunlife maxilink prime ko.. plano kong magwithdraw ng konti sa fund ko kaso di ko alam ung steps kung paano.. magpapatulong po sana ako.. salamat ng marami.

• Garry De Castro said on Dec 27, 2017 2:28 am

Hi Carol. Withdrawing from your fund value kung nakaka 2 years ka palang, baka maliit pa ang fund value nya and may result to lapsation of your policy. But if you insist, you will need VUL Withdrawal Form + ID and signature of irrevocable beneficiaries (and ID) if applicable.

• FEI said on Dec 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi, just want to ask. I can access my online account in SunLife, unfortunately, hindi ko talaga sya masyadong magets.

So I have checked my account today since matagal ko na di natingnan. PLUS, I actually skipped paying for 8 months. 2K lang naman ako per month. So in total 10K pa lang nahuog ko. I am aware na may monthly admin charges. However, it is just 200++ per month. I am trying to compute panong naging 1100+ na lang natira sa account ko pero di ko makuha. I need enlightenment.haha

• Garry De Castro said on Dec 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi Fei. If you’re trying to compute straight na tipong total amount deposited vs amount of monthly charges, you might not be able get the results you’re expecting. The schedule of charges are actually indicated in your policy contract.

If you want guide on how to compute, message me on FB, I can teach you how.

Fb.com/financialadvisorph http://www.garrydecastro.com

• january said on Dec 14, 2017 10:50 am

hi, i am getting a maxilink insurance. i am submitting the form to the advisor together with the payment. my question – is it really necessary to pay the initial amount to the advisor? i plan to pay annually but i would like to pay via bank. can i pay partial to the advisor and when my form is approved i will then pay to the bank? is that possible? please enlighten me. many thanks and more power.

• Garry De Castro said on Dec 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi January. It’s ok to pay to the Sun Life advisor as long as you are issued a Provisional Receipt.

But in case na mejo duda ka, pwede ka naman magbayad directly sa Sun Life account thru banks. Just ask for the Sun Life bank details, madaming bank options naman pwede.

Ang mangyari lang nyan, after you deposit, give the advisor a copy of the deposit slip as a proof of payment. That will be attached to your application for submission.

• Ching said on Dec 13, 2017 9:51 am

Hi po, kumuha po kasi ako ng MyFuture Fund 2035 and 4 years napo ako nagbabayad. Tanong ko lang po until what age po ako insured sa kinuha kong VUL? If mag decide ako na di na mag pay ng kahit ano after 10 years, saan kukunin yung premium for my Life Insurance for 11th year and so on? Yung binayaran/babayaran kong 10years na life premium covered na ba ako up to 88years old ko? Or on the 11th year sa fund value kukunin yung Life Premium? Please enlighten me po. Thank you so much!

• Garry De Castro said on Dec 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi Ching, I assume you got Sun Maxilink Prime. If that’s the case, the product was designed na at least 10years payment lang xa.

After paying 10years, succeeding charges were computed na kahit di ka na magbayad, pwede na maging self sustaining ung policy, meaning the fund value will be able to pay the charges and at the same time be able to grow over time.

• VinKei said on Dec 11, 2017 7:31 am

Hi po. I have Maxilink prime policy, ung dating advisor ko wala na po from Sunlife tapos meron po akong bagong advisor. Nag email lng cya once para ipaalam n cya n advisor ko tas hindi na po ako inupdate ulit. Sabi nia may mga papers ako dapat pirmahan but since nasa UAE po ako hindi n nia ko kinontak. Pede po b ko magpalit ng advisor kasi pag uwi ko po for vacation gusto ko mag inquire about mutual funds. Gusto ko sana ung maging advisor ko eh active. I mean pwede mo cya tanungin anytime at igaguide k nia. Thanks po.

• Garry De Castro said on Dec 11, 2017 8:21 am

Hi VinKei, yes pwedeng pwede ka magpalit ng advisor if you want. You just need to contact your preferred advisor and igaguide ka nya what documents need to be submitted which is basically a copy of ID and Service Request Form.

In case wala ka pa preferred advisor, I might be of help.

• Micu said on Dec 8, 2017 1:25 pm

Hello what is the meaning of sundry amount

• Garry De Castro said on Dec 9, 2017 3:51 am

Hi Micu. Can you help me where did you encounter that term? I made a quick google search and it says “collection of miscellaneous things”. I’m not sure if it’s related to your question.

• Pauline said on Nov 29, 2017 3:52 am

Good Day. May I ask if I can withdraw some funds from my current fund value at any time? I’ve been paying for 4 years now or do I have to wait until my 10th year? Thank you.

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi Pauline, technically you may withdraw your funds anytime you want. However, doing so will effect your policy for sure.

I don’t know yet your purpose in getting the policy but if we’re talking of Sun Maxilink Prime, though it’s an insurance with investment plan, this is more of an insurance plan rather than an investment.

If you’ll take a look at the illustration in the proposal, it’s only at the 9th or 10th year that you’ll be able to breakeven – meaning, the amount you put it will be equal to the amount of fund value. That’s the only time it will start growing.

So if you don’t have any need at all, I suggest you don’t withdraw at all til you’re ready to retire to maximize the benefits. 😀

• Raine said on Nov 29, 2017 2:04 am

Can I pay my using my Unionbank online app? I made a payment yesterday but it hasn’t reflected on my Sunlife Online portal.

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 29, 2017 2:56 am

If you made a payment using your Unionbank app with Sun Life of Canada Phils Inc as the merchant and it accepted, that must be allowed.

Wait for 3 business days til it reflects on your SunLink Online account.

• A said on Nov 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi, my monthly payment is automatically debited from my BPI savings account. Last month I did not have enough balance on my account when the due date passed. What are the implications of this?

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 29, 2017 2:54 am

Hi A. If you have enough fund value in your policy to shoulder the monthly expenses, that’s ok as it will not automatically lapse your policy. You may still pay over the counter or thru online Bills payment for that particular month.

Sun Life will try 2 more debit til it quits from doing so. Best not to let that happen to keep your policy inforced and your money growing over time.

• Nina said on Nov 26, 2017 9:40 am

hello. I’m in my 3rd year for Sunlife Maxlink, am I qualified for a Policy Advance? TIA

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 26, 2017 10:22 am

Yes, what do you mean by policy advance? If you meant advance payment, yes you may do so anytime.

• Emmanuel Kennedy Timog said on Nov 22, 2017 4:49 am

Hi Sir. Ask ko lang po regarding Sun life online app. Viewable po ang Total Fund Value sa app, na almost half lang ng total amount deposited ko cause Ive been paying my premiums since Feb 2014. Usually nadedelay ako ng quarterly payment, nagiincur ba yun sa policy ko ng mas mahal na financial charges o may late fees na tinatawag? Thanks.

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 26, 2017 10:23 am

Unfortunately, total premiums paid is not yet part of the current sunlink. But they are workin on it.

• Jose Segundo, I said on Nov 21, 2017 10:44 pm

How can i verify if my payment was recieved by sunlife

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 27, 2017 3:00 am

Hi Jose, you can check it on your SunLink account after 3 business days. Or you can also call our customer service at (02) 8499888

• Lauriene said on Nov 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Hello Sir Garry De Castro,
    i already have my sunlife insurance 21 years old po ako, 1 year n 6 months na po ko sa sunlife semi annual every 6months po bayad q. Im currently working po d2 sa qatar so ung mom q po ung ngbbyad on my behalf, i wanted to know po kung paano ko po mllman kung mgkno na po laht ng nhuhulog ko i mean po para matrack q po ung account/policy q . thanks po sa response 🙂 waiting po ko sir 🙂

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 27, 2017 3:32 am

Hi Lauriene, you can do 3 things. 1 you can ask your Sun Life advisor to make you a summary of your account with total payments made. 2 you may call our customer service (02) 849 9888. 3 you may send an email to sunlinkonline@sunlife.com with your policy details and concern.

• Donna said on Nov 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Hello. Can I view po ba may payment schedule sa policy sun maxilink prime na kinuha ko and how? I just want to check if how much na total na nabayaran ko at kung napost ang payment ko. I will try kasi online payment using bdo. Thanks in advance!

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi Donna, I just checked the new Sun Link Online, unfortunately it’s no longer there.

Your best option is to contact your Sun Life Advisor and ask for a summary.

Or you may call directly to our hot line 849 9888 and they will gladly give u a summary of your policy.

• Anne said on Nov 9, 2017 4:10 am

Good Day Sir! My policy is Sun Maxilink Prime. I’ve been paying for 1 and half years now, at napansin ko po na ung administration charge ko po is dumoble. On my first year 661+ po ung charge. Ngayon po 1,200+ na po. Kaya yung current fund value ko po is parang half lng ng nadeposit ko.

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 9, 2017 4:46 am

Hi Anne, that’s usually the case pag Maxilink Prime on the 2nd year. Why is that?

If your advisor explained it to you properly, there are 2 charges that will take effect on your policy. These are Premium Charge and Monthly Periodic Charge. Nakalagay din ito sa policy contract mo on the 3rd page if I’m not mistaken.

On the 1st year, Premium Charge (PM) is 65% while Monthly Periodic Charge (MPC) is 0. On top of that, mayron pang Monthly Admin Charges. However, when you see this on your policy anniversary, it is only reflected as Administration Charge. The same reason why on your 1st year, you will notice that your deposits are immediately deducted ng malaki.

On the 2nd year PM charge is now only 5% while MPC will now be 40%. So instead na malaki ang deduction when you pay, 5% lang nababawas then the 40% MPC charge is then deducted on a monthly basis.

What I’m saying is, no need to panic. That’s normal. you may also check the projection (illustration) on your policy contract – there’s a Charges column that when you add up your monthly charges on the 2nd year, it should be pretty close to what is projected.

Hope this helps. 😀

• Grace said on Nov 6, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi can i pay my policy vul at bdo over the counter? Is it the orange form for bills payment? Then my subscriber’s account number will be my policy number? How can i get confirmation from sunlife if payment received? Will they send me an or?

• Garry De Castro said on Nov 27, 2017 4:16 am

Hi Grace, yes it’s the Bills payment form.

Subscriber’s Account number will be your Policy Number
      Subscriber’s Name will be your Policy Name

You will get an Official Receipt and your payment will be reflected in your SunLink Online Account.

• Genica said on Oct 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi, is it fine if I delay my payment by 1 month for my VUL policy?

• Garry De Castro said on Oct 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi Genica. If your policy has enough fund value, delaying by 1 month won’t matter at all. Best to check your Sun Link account on your current fund value. And if it can handle the monthly charges, that will be ok to delay just by 1 month.

• Azeneth martinez said on Sep 28, 2017 8:17 am

Hi!
    Ask ko lang po kung yung surrender value ay yung total na makukuha ko incase na isurrender ko na yung policy ko.actually 1year pa lang yung policy ko.
    Thank you!

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 28, 2017 8:34 am

Hi Azeneth, yes that’s correct. If you’ll notice sobrang liit lang nya compared sa naihulog mo simply because it’s an insurance plan na may bonus na investments not the other way around. :

• Ceejhay said on Sep 26, 2017 1:21 pm

H! Mr. Castro
    6years na po aqng nagbabayad s Sunflexilink, balak q sana e widraw na kac balak q e invest s MF, buo q po ba un maku2ha? Paano qng na reach q na ang 10yrs pwd na po bang mag stop magbayad quarterly?at Sir ung policy contract q kac nawala, pwd paba aq mag request ulit nun?

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 27, 2017 12:20 am

Hi Ceejhay, if naka 6years ka na and u plan to withdraw, chances are baka hindi pa breakeven ung fund value na makukuha mo. And sayang naman kung magstop ka pa, di mo na maibabalik ung age mo 6years ago. So better continue that and just open a separate mutual fund account.

If u reach 10years, pwede ka na ba magstop? It depends on the riders that u have, pwedeng oo, pwedeng hindi. Best to check the details of ur policy and ur Sun Life Advisor.

If nawala mo ung policy contract, you may request for a reprint for P750 fee if Im not mistaken. May need lang isubmit na form + ID. You may do this by going to any Sun Life store or with the help of your Sun Life Advisor.

• lovi said on Sep 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi! i applied for my insurance march of this year..it’s been 6 months and i haven’t deposited any payment from the time i applied. can i still pay even after 6 months or can i pay annually instead?

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi Lovi, it will depend on some factors. What was your mode of payment when you first sign up on March? If it’s on a quarterly basis, there’s a big chance that it will lapse before you know it.

If it’s on a semi-annual basis, you have to check the fund value if it can still shoulder the charges, otherwise, it will lapse.

What you can do is you can deposit say P1,000 per month til you’re able to pay the skipped payments just for your policy to survive.

Best check with your Sun Life Advisor, SunLink Online or you may call (02) 849 9888 to check your current fund value.

• Arielle said on Sep 21, 2017 6:04 am

hi. 1 year pa lang po akong nagbabayad ng insurance.. Sun FlexiLink. Quarterly po yung payment, last August 19 po yung due ko but September 19 na ako nakabayad. Zero amount po yung nakalagay sa Current Fund Value ko as of September 20. Ano po yung ibig sabihin nun?? Terminated na po ba yung policy ko?? thanks

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 21, 2017 7:07 am

Hi Arielle, hindi pa naman siguro terminated yung policy mo as you should have get a message 1st that the fund is insufficient tsaka palang maglalapse.

Why is it showing ‘0’? I don’t know. It could be related to the ongoing system update. Pero for peace of mind, I suggest you call 849 9888 and talk to the customer service. They should give you a clear info on your policy status. You may also contact your Sun Life advisor.

• Nil Sevilla said on Sep 15, 2017 10:18 am

I pay almost two quarter in my insurance then my sister offered me an insurance in other insurance company. Can I withdraw or cancel my policy? if yes, I can still get returns of my payments and how long is the process?

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi Nil, if you withdraw or cancel your policy, chances are, you will only get a handful from your policy since you just started. Masasayang ung insurance mo. I would suggest to continue if kaya naman. But if you insist, process will be surrendering your policy contract along with VUL Surrender form. You may ask help from your advisor but he/she will be surely affected.

• ada said on Sep 13, 2017 1:43 am

Thank you for your very informative website and your direct responses. I am planning to get an insurance and you seem to answer the questions and remove the worries I have in mind.

Currently, due to limited budget this year, I’m thinking of getting a term insurance first so that I can be more flexible with the finances and eventually enroll in a VUL after some time to avoid high premium cost.

Where can I pay through credit card for a Sun Safer Life/ Sun LifeAssure?

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 13, 2017 1:48 am

Hi Ada, glad to be of help. If paying using credit card, you can pay directly thru your Sun Life Advisor. In case you don’t have one yet, me and my team of Sun Life advisors might be able to help you. Feel free to send me a direct message.

• Paul said on Sep 11, 2017 9:42 am

Where can i see my total deposit?

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Paul, the last time I checked, the total deposit doesn’t appear in our online access. But they are working on it. You can ask your advisor to prepare a summary of your policy.

• Zarah said on Sep 7, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Mr. De Castro. I would like to ask if my quarterly payment can be deducted from my fund value earnings? If yes, is there a process that I need to do or it will be just automatically deducted If I am not able to pay? Do I have to call or is there a way to do it from my online Sunlife account?

Thank you in advance.

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 8, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi Zarah, no need to call or request. Monthly charges will be automatically taken from the fund value preventing your policy immediately lapse.

• Maria Apines said on Sep 5, 2017 5:49 am

Can I pay my sunlife monthly for my initial payment?

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 8, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi Maria, no you can’t pay your insurance with Sun Life with monthly mode on the initial stage. You need to pay at least 1 quarter then do monthly afterwards.

• melody abayon said on Aug 30, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi Sir Garry!
    ask ko lang po,quarterly po ang payment ng husband ko.. hnd po kami nakapagbayad last july (for 2nd quarter) tpos due date po ulit nya ngayong october (for 3rd quarter). paano po kung hnd pa din nmin mabayaran due to some financial worries, maglalapse na po ba yun policy nya?

• Carol said on Aug 28, 2017 11:16 am

Good evening. Ask ko lang po if incase fully paid ko na ng 10 years yung sunlife maxilink prime account ko just incase i want to withraw my fund value is it guaranteed na ang makukuha ko is equal to what i have deposited or will it depends. Thanks!

• Garry De Castro said on Sep 8, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi Carol, there is no guarantee that the fund value that you will get is equal to what you have deposited. Thus, the idea of VUL – variable unit-linked insurance.

The amount that you can get after 10 years can be lower or higher that what you have deposited. However, I wouldn’t advise anyone on withdrawing the fund value. What you got is an insurance protection with the investment as a bonus on the side. Sayang ung age when you got it first, di mo na maibabalik un.

• Yza said on Aug 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Good evening. I paid my sunlife maxilink prime (P9000) last Tues, Aug 22 at robibson’s business center. I havent received any payment confirmation thru text or email. When will my payment reflect on my online acct? Thank you.

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 26, 2017 6:45 am

Hi Yza, usually payments made via payment centers will reflect in 3 business days.

• Gi Santiago said on Aug 24, 2017 10:13 am

My policy’s payment due date is next month, will it auto deduct the policy charge from my VUL/fund? I already deposited it through online banking

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 26, 2017 6:45 am

Hi Gi, if the due is next month and you already made your payments, it will not.

• viah said on Aug 22, 2017 9:04 am

hi sir tanong ko lng po if pwede ko ba ipadala sa sister ko ung bayad ko quarterly the sy po magbbyad s bpi bank. pano po ba mag bayad dun? my charge po b ang bangko pg nagbayad ng policy?

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 22, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi Viah, yes pwede mo ipadala sa sister mo ung bayad then she can pay via BPI over the counter.

Pano magbayad, using BPI Electronic Assistant (BEA), click Pay Bills, then look for the name of Merchant, I’m not sure if it’s under Others – Sun Life of Canada Phils Inc, then key in the Policy Number. I’m sure the teller will be happy to assist your sister as well. Best to contact your Sun Life advisor for help.

• Ethon said on Aug 21, 2017 10:02 am

Hi
    I already member of sunlife philippines 3 month deposit.my question how can i pay my first payment?
    Thru BDO account.i went into bank, first use payment slip i wrote my policy number but he didnt accept second use deposit slip i write the sunlife account but ask them how the sunlife know im the one deposit to that account and he answer he didt recognised,
    Help me how can? My due august 22 2017

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi Ethon, when you say you’re already a member of Sun Life Philippines, does that mean that your insurance is already approved?

If that’s the case, using Bills Payment slip in BDO, writing your Policy Number (reference number), Name (Subscriber Name) and Merchant (Sun Life of Canada Phils Inc) should do the trick.

Best to contact your Sun Life advisor so you won’t have the problem of floating payment.

• Shishi Cruz said on Aug 21, 2017 4:08 am

Hi Garry. My insurance plan is P45k for 10 years. I’m on my 9th this year. What happens at the end of my plan? Can I withdraw everything and do I get any loyalty bonus (how much)?

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 21, 2017 4:20 am

Hi Shishi, thank you for asking.

Re: What should you do after you finish paying 10years? Just leave it there til the time that you or your family actually needs it.

Please note that what you got is an insurance plan and the investment is just a bonus on the side. The idea is that in case death of the insured comes into the picture, your income (depending on the coverage) will be replaced by your insurance.

In case that you retire say without any need arises, you may use the investment component for your retirement.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean that you cant withdraw in case you really want to. It’s just that immediately after paying 10 years, the fund value might just be equal to the amount you deposited. 😀

• Gerry said on Aug 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Good eve tanung ko lng po ok lng ba na hindi na po magbayad sa sunlife policy na nakuha ko?may magiging pananagutan po ba ako sa batas kung sakali?salamat po

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 18, 2017 1:25 am

Hi Gerry, the shortest answer to your question is WALA. Wala ka naman magiging pananagutan sa batas in case you decide not to pay on your Sun Life policy. Same as not paying for your electric bill.

However, if you do decide not to continue your Sun Life policy, just like an electricity provider, mapuputol na din ung insurance coverage mo in case mag lapse xa.

On top of that, masasayang din ung mga binayad mo. Sayang naman. Try to talk to your advisor, baka may ibang paraan na pwede magawa para macontinue mo padin.

• Pia Villanueva said on Aug 13, 2017 1:21 am

Hi Sir Gerry!

I have 2 questions:
    1. Late na po ako sa payment kasi naka-quarterly po ako. Pwede ko pa po ba mahabol yun kulang ko? Like pwede po ba sya bayaran na lang as anually?
    2. If I’m going to pay through BDO, over the counter. What should I write in the Payment Slip (Company name, Subscriber’s name and subscriber’s account number)

Thank you so much!

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 18, 2017 1:21 am

Hi Pia, yes pwede mo naman xa mahabol, no problem with that. Wag lang too late that the fund value becomes ZERO as it will automatically lapse.

When paying sa BDO, use the following details

Company Name: Sun Life of Canada (Phils) Inc.

• Sharon said on Aug 11, 2017 5:24 am

How many years you need to pay para maging covered ka ng insurance?

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 11, 2017 5:33 am

Hi Sharon! In Sun Life, the moment you pay, as long as you don’t have any ‘Yes’ answer under under the Temporary Life Insurance Questionnaires, meaning you’re generally healthy, you’re already covered up to P2Million insurance. Proof is the issuance of the Temporary Life Insurance Certificate.

• Von said on Aug 4, 2017 4:48 am

Hi Sir,

Do you have details on how to compute for the monthly admin charges?

• Jen said on Jul 31, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi po,
    May way po ba para malaman kung how much na ung total deposited amount for a Policy?
    Thanks po.

• Garry De Castro said on Aug 2, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi Jen, yes there is.

1.) You may simply ask your Sun Life advisor
      2.) You may call Sun Life’s hotline (02) 849 9888 and ask about your policy.
      3.) If you Sun Life advisor is no longer active, our team might be able to help you. Just send me an email at garrydecastro@gmail.com

• Jess said on Jul 31, 2017 2:31 am

Hi. I already have Maxilink Prime policy for about a year now. i want to ask if i can change the ff:

1. Add rider, Critical Illness rider
    2. Change rider, ADB to ADDDB rider
    3. Change investment allocation, from 100% Growth Plus to 100% Peso Balanced Fund

are these changes still possible? and what is the estimated addtl amount i will be paying for the additional/changes in riders. Thank you.

• Garry De Castro said on Jul 31, 2017 5:58 am

Hi Jess, re: changes on riders, yes that is possible on every policy anniversary up to 60 days meaning if your policy anniversary is Aug1, you have 60days from Aug1 to have it modified. As to how much additional, it will depend on your new age and other factors if any.

Re: Fund allocation change, we have 4 FREE fund switches every year that you can do anytime you want.

You simply need to submit a VUL fund switch form.

Best to contact your Sun Life advisor so he/she can assist you.

In case you no longer have an active advisor, my team of financial advisors might be able to help you depending on your location. 😀

Happy investing!

• Marc said on Jul 30, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi, this post is really informative lalo na for newbies like me.

Me tanong lang po sana ako. I got my Sunlife Maxilink Prime last June 2016. I already paid the 2 years of my premium in advance. Yung binayad ko napunta sya as fund value based on my sunlife online account. Last na bigay ko sa advisor ko is March of this year equivalent to 1 year payment of premium. April and May ang admin charges ko lang is nasa 200++ pero nung pumasok ang june ang admin charges ko is naging 1.1k++. Normal po ba un? By the captains fund ang akin.

Thanks po and more power.

• Garry De Castro said on Jul 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi Marc, yes that’s normal. The reason behind is that Monthly Periodic Charge starts on the 2nd year. This charge is deducted monthly instead of one big chunk. Try to compare with your 1st year payment wherein there is a big chunk upon receipt of payment.

I’ll try to discuss that in details in a separate article so you can fully appreciate and understand the charges. 😀

• Lala said on Jul 19, 2017 2:25 am

Hi, I invested for VUL more than a year now and this year Ive been paying monthly without informing my financial advisor? What do you think the repercussion of this is? Also, Ive been reading the thread that delay of payments will not lead to automatic termination as long as the fund value is sufficient for charges we incur on a periodic basis. Now my question is will the computation of future value of our investment differ or at least, the timeline that was set to us initially? (note that it’s only delayed but subsequesntly paid)

• Shine said on Jul 4, 2017 4:58 am

Hi!
    My policy is Sun Maxilink Prime.
    I noticed the there is a monthly administration charge that is being deducted from my fund value. Also when I made a payment, not the full amount is added in my fund value, there is an administration charge. What is the administration charge for?

Also, my policy will not get terminated until it has fund value, even if I did not pay for a year??

Thank you!

• Shine said on Jul 4, 2017 4:51 am

Hi!

I noticed in my sunlink online for sun maxiilink prime, that there is the monthly administration charge, this is always deducted monthly from my fund value.. Also, I noticed that for every payment I made, the whole amount was not added in my fund value, there is always admin charge. What is admin charge for??

Also, my policy will not get terminated until it has fund value? Even if I din not pay for it for a year?

Thank you!

• Garry De Castro said on Jul 4, 2017 5:05 am

Hi Shine, thank you for asking.

In Sun Life VUL (Sun Maxilink Prime included), these are the charges

Premium charge is the cost associated with the policy’s sales transaction and other related expenses. Monthly Periodic Charge is the cost of maintaining and administering the policy. Cost of Insurance Charge is the cost of insurance coverage and other additional benefits.

However, when we look at the details in Sun Link, these are simply categorized as admin charge.

Re: will your policy remain inforce until such time that the fund value is depleted? The simple answer is yes. As long as the fund value is enough to cover for the charges, it will remain inforce.

For how long, it will differ as to the amount of fund value and the charges.

• Noriel said on Jul 1, 2017 1:15 pm

Goodevening,
    Is there some kind of benefits if i pay my account in advance, example from 10 years to 5 years time? will my fund be affected on the fluctuation of rates on stock market inside the mutual fund if ever i put payment in advance.
    and if ever changing a type of fund, which do you think is better, growth plus or equity? i’m currently on growth plus.

• Garry De Castro said on Jul 4, 2017 2:52 am

Hi Noriel. Re: if there will be benefits if you pay your account in advance – in most cases yes since funds will be invested earlier so it has more potential to grow over the long term. Altho other school of thought will say that paying on schedule will take advantage of peso cost averaging.

Re: Changing Fund allocation – growth plus and equity are both invested in the stock market. They simply differ in the categories of companies in those fund. If you’re asking which is more aggressive – meaning higher risk, higher return fund, you might want to check Index Fund instead.

• Amor said on Jun 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Good evening,
    Nawala ako ng work recently, i have the maxilink prime vul. Pwede ba ako mag request na pababain un annual premium rate ko? Di ko na kase afford bayaran yung current rate ko. Kase wala
    Ako trabaho.

• Garry De Castro said on Jun 30, 2017 12:22 am

Hi Amor, technically yes, you can/may downgrade your premium/payment. Best to contact your Sun Life advisor for assistance.

In case you no longer have an active advisor, let me know so I can help u.

• EJ said on Jun 22, 2017 9:13 am

Is it possible to pay lower than my billing? My quarterly billing is 7,500php and I’m thinking of paying lower – 4,500php quarterly. (Is there any penalty/charges with regards with this?) Thank you!!

• Garry De Castro said on Jun 22, 2017 9:23 am

Hi EJ, vuls payment is very flexible, you can pay lower, no penalties. It’s just that you might not get the full potential of your vul. If it’s just temporary, no problem. But if you plan to really pay lower even on succeeding billings, you might want to simply downgrade your policy. Ask your Sun Life advisor for assistance.

• LG said on Jun 20, 2017 4:40 am

HI! Just want to ask regarding payments. Yesterday, I went to BPI and pay in advance through BPI bills payment for my insurance. Until today, there still no record regarding my payment transaction yesterday on my insurance. How many days would it take for the payment through bank to appear on the insurance account? Thank you.

• Garry De Castro said on Jun 20, 2017 6:53 am

Hi LG, if paid via bank, please expect 2-3 business/working days before it gets reflected on your Sunlink online.

• Jayson said on Jun 19, 2017 1:07 am

Hi!

I enrolled under VUL and since it’s my first to pay for quarterly based.I’m quite worried, my financial advisor told me to deposit on her bpi savings account. Is she going to deposit the payment to sunlife on my behalf?

Thanks

• Garry De Castro said on Jun 19, 2017 1:35 am

Hi Jayson, if it’s your initial payment, the actual process is you pay thru your Sun Life advisor then she will issue an Acknowledgment receipt. Another option is you can deposit directly via Sun Life’s account then you can submit the deposit slip to your Sun Life advisor – at least, that’s the recommended procedure of Sun Life.

In some cases, some advisors would ask to deposit to their personal account for faster transactions, however, this practice is highly discouraged by Sun Life. Best to meet with your Sun Life advisor.

• ruio said on May 3, 2017 5:17 am

Hi sir gerry, i have maxilink peso balanced. i get sunlife last 2014, but unfortunately i faced financial crisis for 2yrs so i was not able to pay my insurance… Luckily my insurance is still not terminated. Now my question is,since i started all over paying my VUL, again… do i have to pay the balanced or payment that i missed for the past say 2 years?,.. Naubos actually yung Fund ko sa unang years because of the missed payments… kindly advise. thanks in advance.

• Garry De Castro said on Jun 19, 2017 1:36 am

Hi Ruio, best to pay the balance or skipped payments so you will enjoy the fund value later on.

• Korina said on Apr 17, 2017 7:24 am

Hi,
    I paid a partial amount of my premium via BPI Bills Payment last week. This is the first time I’m paying via BPI and I followed the instructions indicated here. May I know how many days it will reflect on my SunLife Online Portal? Based on my online account, the last payment (or the initial payment) was still April 6. Will I get an email or sms notification that they got my partial payment?

Thanks in advance

• Garry De Castro said on Jun 19, 2017 1:38 am

Hi Korina, normally within 3 business/ working days

• FearFactory17 said on Mar 22, 2017 4:49 pm

My policy is Maxilink Prime

• FearFactory17 said on Mar 22, 2017 4:44 pm

Ive been paying my policy for 2 years now. If for example I lost my job and I want to get all the money I put in Sunlife. Will I be able to get everything plus the interest?

• Garry De Castro said on Mar 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi FearFactory17, short answer to your question is No. You will not get your total deposit and interest if any. Maxilink Prime is an Insurance with Investment component and it has charges incurred in setting up your policy + the insurance charges that covers in case of death.

In your case, you mentioned you lost your job. If you have other means, please do not surrender your policy. Try to look back when you first get it. What was your plan for it? And besides, you won’t be able to bring back your age when you got it. Being jobless is temporary and Im sure you’ll find a new one in no time. But when you surrender your policy and get a new one in the future, it will be much more expensive – sayang naman.

• Ruel Pagod Liguid said on Mar 19, 2017 3:59 am

Is there a grace period for the due date? what will happen if I miss the payment due date and paid it few days after? will I incur any charges?

• Garry De Castro said on Mar 21, 2017 2:51 am

Yes, there’s a grace period on due dates. What will happen if you miss paying on the due date? It actually depends on what type of plan you got. If it’s a VUL plan, it will not incur any charges. As long as there’s enough fund value to pay for the charges, your policy will remain in-forced.

• Ice said on Mar 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi good day.
    My mom is asking how can she start pating her sunlife forthe first time.

Thanks in advance

• Garry De Castro said on Mar 19, 2017 2:54 am

Hi Ice. When you say paying for the first time, does this mean initial payment? If it is, Sun Life have accounts with commercial banks where she can deposit the payments directly to Sun Life.

If, however, you mean paying for a recently issued policy, she can easily use the policy number and pay thru accredited banks or payment centers.

• Park Kang said on Feb 18, 2017 4:17 am

Hi, how can I know how much am I able to borrow under Policy Advance for my VUL? Is it equal to the Fund Value on any given date? Thank you in advance.

• Garry De Castro said on Mar 21, 2017 3:00 am

For VUL, we simply withdraw not borrow. As to how much, there’s no exact amount but the maximum you can withdraw is the full Fund Value. But if you do withdraw the full fund value, the policy will automatically terminate so I suggest to limit it up to 50% so your policy can remain inforced.

• Aiko said on Feb 13, 2017 4:47 am

Hi, missed my payment by 1 day, it slipped my mind. I think it will reflect after 2 days.

Would this have any affect on my policy?

Thanks!

• Garry De Castro said on Feb 14, 2017 2:58 am

If this is a VUL policy, it will not have an effect as long as there’s enough funds to pay for the charges. If it’s a traditional policy, it may have an effect.

• Rachelle said on Jan 6, 2017 2:43 pm

hello?
    how do I pay my annual billing thru BDO online banking? thanks

• Garry De Castro said on Jan 7, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi Rachelle, using BDO online go to My Quick Links (middle left portion), click Pay Bills. It will open a window Payment Details. Under Pay this Company Biller, check Pay a Company/Biller that is not yet enrolled.

Choose Sun Life of Canada Philippines Inc. Enter the amount of payment.

Subscriber Number should be the Policy Number
      Subscriber Name should be the name of the Policy Holder/Owner

At the last part, you may wish to enroll this Company/Biller so that future payments can be done easily.

Once done, your payment will reflect to your Sun Life account in 2-3 business days.

• Alo said on Oct 21, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi, is it required to pay cash for the first payment or it is not possible to use online in the firat payment?

• Garry De Castro said on Oct 22, 2016 5:59 am

Hi Alo,

Initial payments are not necessarily in cash, you can also pay in checks. Paying online or direct deposit to account using your first payment is allowed specially if the amount is substantial. Please take note that you will have to submit a proof of transfer. And this will have to be checked with the head office first, thus, might take some time to settle.

If online payment however, you will be required to transfer directly to Sun Life’s account, not using the Bills Payment feature as you don’t have a policy number yet.

• Irene said on Jul 27, 2015 12:07 am

Very informative. Thank you!

• Garry De Castro said on Jul 29, 2015 10:49 pm

Welcome Irene. Thanks for reading. Please share if you find it useful.

Got something to say?